Santee Cooper: 4 units to close at end of month | News
MONCKS CORNER, S.C. (AP) - Santee Cooper says 4 of its power-generating units will be shut down at the end of the month.
The state-owned utility said Monday that the two units at the Jefferies Generating Station in Moncks Corner and the two units at Grainger Generating Station in Conway will be permanently shut down Dec. 31.
Santee Cooper's board voted to shut down six units at the plants in October after considering the cost of complying with more stringent environmental regulations. The utility says the plants are its oldest and smallest generating stations.
Santee Cooper said no layoffs are expected because employees at the plants will be moved to other jobs that have opened up through attrition.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Upcoming Events near Goose Creek - Berkeley County - Moncks Corner
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man accused of kidnapping, attempting sexual activity with child
- Dorchester investigators charge man for Harleyville home invasion
- Several Christmas parades set for this weekend
- Summerville Baptist Church presents Lowcountry Singing Christmas Tree
- Live 5 Investigates: Big crime problems in small Summerville apt. complex